Donnerstag, 28. April 2011

Poverty&Goodness: a true short story

Spring time! We move our planning meeting for the next conference of Catholic Singles to Schönbrunn park, sit in the sun and drink coffee. On the way home I realize: My cell phone is gone.

A friend who called my phone lets me know that a man from some foreign country had answered and given her an address where I could pick it up. Aßmeyergasse Nr. 62. I put the kids to bed and head off at nine in the evening. A poor district in Vienna and completely unknown to me.

I am busy and I want to use the quiet evening to do some writing. Well, maybe I could get there and back within 30 minutes? I hurry… and get to the street - most unfortunately at the wrong end. Number 1! There is nothing I can do about it. I walk fast and use the time for praying. God, this is such a waste of time. You want to teach me something, no? I am listening, speak clearly.

Nr 22… Nr 32… Nr 42… my conviction grows that something will go wrong. Nr. 52…Almost there! But no!!! After Nr 60 there is 62a – a nightclub and the next house is 66!!! There is no 62. And of course, I can’t call anyone: I DON`T HAVE A CELL PHONE! The street is dark, abandoned, and it starts to get scary.

What do I do? There is no one… but the lit up night club. “0-24 non stop” it says. I must go inside. I ring the door bell.

The girl isn’t wearing much but stripes and supposedly sexy underwear. I ask her for Nr. 62. She doesn’t know. She hardly speaks any German. She is maybe 23. She is just a girl like us, no different. I look at her face. I could be anyone of us, just for the clothes…. She is kind, and lost, and embarrassed. I leave.

What now? The neighbouring house – my last chance. I ring the bells of all apartments. One voice answers. Would you be able to tell me where I can find Nr. 62?? Wait, I’ll come down. Bad German, but someone coming down to talk to me. Bring your phone, I add.

He is from India. About forty years old, nice guy. Speaks hardly any German. English? Tampoco! I did not go to school, he says, I did not learn English. He walks around the block with me. Still no Nr. 62. Can I use your phone to phone mine so that that guy might tell us? But he does not answer. We wait and I ask the man from India about himself. He distributes newspapers. Starts at 2 am. It’s weird, he says, to sleep during the day, and to work in the night. He has not had a free day in seven years.

Still no answer on my phone. Come to my house and wait there. I have Indian food, he says. Do you have a family? No, but friends upstairs eating, don’t worry, we will not hurt you. In the staircase I change my mind. Not from fear… but I wanted to go home and work, use the sleeping time of the children. Let me phone three more times. Then I say, now, this is the last time I try… and that guy finally answers my phone.

He comes down to the junction where I am waiting still in company of my new Indian friend. Young, handsome, Armenian maybe? His German is rather good. He had given me the wrong number because he thought I would not find his correct address, a sit was a bit complicated. He had expected me only the next morning, so he had not answered my phone. Here it is, he says, I did not do anything with it. I did not think you would have done anything. No, I really did not, you can check it, check it!

Boy. This man finds my phone in the park, helps me to get it back – and defends himself like a thief caught in a stranger’s house. What’s wrong?

I saw poverty today. And goodness. The same city, the same human species, the same children of God and completely different lives. Just because of being born a couple of hundred kilometres away. I cannot stay in their world. But I glad I saw it.

Keine Kommentare: